“How Injured Runners, Golfers, Cyclists & Other Athletes Can Get Fit (...And Stay Fit), From Frustrating Sports Injuries That Keep You From Enjoying Sports And Being Active”
If you’ve recently picked up a Sports Injury, or if you’ve been suffering with an injury for a while - it can be very tempting to pass it off as “nothing serious” and simply “put up with it” carrying on as best you can.
Or, it can be very easy to get disheartened and end up feeling “stuck”, wondering if you’ll ever be able to get back to playing sport or keeping active like you used to…
If that’s happening to you, you’re not alone - we see people going through this all the time. In fact, we see people living with an injury from sports and exercise in our physio clinics in Uptown Oakland & Jack London Square no matter what time of year...
Traditionally, doctors and medical professionals will just tell people to "rest" or to just simply stop doing that activity. In our opinion, this is ridiculous and is actually causing more harm and increasing your risk for future injuries. This is because by resting our muscles begin to atrophy and become weak! It explains why so many people suffering with a sports injury are asking themselves:
“It’s Been Months Now - So Why am I STILL Suffering With an Injury That’s Stopping Me From Being Active and Playing My Favorite Sport?”...
Most people think that when they get a Sports Injury it’ll get better with a few days rest, and that they’ll be able to return to their sport or exercise again, quickly. But then when they go back to exercise again they’re still restricted - sometimes it’s even worse than it was when it first came on. Often when you rest there is little if any pain - but as soon as you start up again, it comes back and no matter how much rest you give it - it doesn’t seem to be improving.
Does That Sound Like You?
Another scenario we see all the time in our Physical Therapy Clinic is when people go to the Doctors, and the Doctor tells them they need to take a break, rest, wear a support and “try these painkillers” to “see how it goes” - but then 4 weeks later they end up going back to the same Doctor again because the injury hasn’t got any better, only to be given MORE rest, and ANOTHER prescription of even stronger pills.
The problem is that when it comes to sports injuries - hamstrings, ankle sprains, runner's knee etc., - complete rest is rarely the best advice.
So maybe you’re confused and frustrated because you been told different things, by different people. Maybe you think you have a back problem - but it’s actually the hip where the problem came from?
Sports injuries can be very confusing because more often than not, where the pain is coming from, isn’t actually the area that needs to be fixed and worked on and if you rest for too long - other parts of the body become just as, if not more problematic!
This confusion over “resting” often leads people to continue to procrastinate and put off making a decision about what to do to help fix their injury and return back to exercise. Worse, many people just end up accepting ‘their days of being active are over’ - as if it’s normal, as if it ‘has’ to be that way.
Is That How You Feel Too?
If You’re Currently Frustrated And Living With A Sports Injury, Here’s 7 More Reasons Why It Could Be Lasting Longer Than It Should:
1. You thought it would go away on it’s own - but it didn’t
2. You went to the Doctor who told you to rest, wear a support, and take painkillers - but the pills did nothing to help, and as soon as they wore off, you were left in agonising pain again
3. A family member, or friend, told you that everyone is more prone to Sports Injuries as they get older, so you just accepted it
4. You sought help from other Healthcare Professionals or a Physio in the past, but nothing they said or did seemed to help
5. You’ve tried using things like heat pads, ice, and sport supports but they’ve done nothing to help make the pain better or return to exercise with ease
6. You thought it would be a good idea to rest because you were in a lot of pain, but it still irritates you daily
7. You decided to get a few “sports massages” hoping that would fix the pain, but all they did was feel a bit ‘painful’ or maybe ‘relaxing’, and didn’t do anything to fix your injury long term…
If any of these have happened to you - we would love to help you by inviting you to book a call to talk with one of our physical therapists to find out what can be done to help you. The fact that you’ve tried any or all of these things already is actually a GOOD THING because when you know what doesn’t work - you are closer to finding the thing that does!
Click the link below to book a call with us if you would like to get some solid advice given to you over the phone. The phone call is complimentary and there is no obligation to book any appointments with us after the call is over. Our goal is to help you make the right decision about what to do next for the best.
Well, here’s 4 things you can do:
1. First off, you need to make a decision about getting help. So many people procrastinate for so long, thinking that the pain will ‘just go away with time’, but then 6 months down the line they’re still putting up with it, and nothing’s changed… Or it gets worse and they’re still sitting out from playing sport, or exercise completely
2. Next, do the RIGHT exercises - one of the best things to help you recover quickly and safely from an injury is to do the right series of progressed exercises - the right exercises given to you by a Physical Therapist will help reduce pain, and allow you to move freely and return to sport again quick - and make sure that the problems don’t come back any time soon.
3. Avoid “too much rest” - while rest is an important part of the recovery process, too much rest won’t do anything to help you recover quick. Many people believe that recovery means total rest from exercise. But in order for an injury to recover, blood flow is needed which rest prevents. It would really help if you were given appropriate recovery and strengthening exercises to heal the injury, alongside hands-on treatment, to get you active and healthy again as quickly as possible.
4. Get real, “hands-on” Physical Therapy - Physical Therapy is proven to help people with Sports Injuries. In fact at Pro+Kinetix Physical Therapy & Performance we help people recover from Sports Injuries all year round. If your injury is stopping you from playing sport and staying active, if it’s affecting your job, or if it threatens your independence and gets in the way of spending quality time with family and friends - Physical Therapy can help get you back to living the life you deserve as quickly as possible.
If you would like to know how the Physical Therapy team at Pro+Kinetix Physical Therapy & Performance (clinics in Uptown Oakland & Jack London Square) can help you return to being active as quickly and safely as possible - we invite you to start with a completely free, no-obligation, risk free appointment at one of our clinics:
Note: This Free Total Body Diagnostic session is something that we offer to people who are very nervous or skeptical about Physical Therapy - unsure of its benefits or if it is right for them. If that sounds like you, then please start with a Free Total Body Diagnostic session so that we can work with you to find out what is wrong and what can be done - without any financial risk on your part.
So the next question is:
How Can Choosing To See A Physical Therapist at Pro+Kinetix Help You Get Rid Of Your Sports Injury For Good?
We can quickly take away the pain and stiffness - often inside a couple of sessions
We can help you find out what’s really going on, and get to the root cause of your injury once and for all - often inside 20 minutes
Pain can “zap” you of energy and put you out of playing your favourite sport and doing your favorite activity - we can help you to enjoy living with more energy each day, and return to doing what you love safely
We will ensure that your problem is “corrected” and “healed” properly - and we will provide you with the perfect set of exercises that will speed up your recovery
We can help you put an end to needing to take all of those painkillers which are obviously not very good for your long-term health
We can help you avoid dangerous surgery - and painful injections
We can help you keep out of the Doctor’s waiting room where you’ll be told to “rest” again...
We can help you get back to enjoying quality time with family and friends that your injury has taken from you...
We can help you to finally be able to walk, and move freely, without worrying if the pain is going to get worse and stop you in your tracks
Basically… the Physical Therapy team at Pro+Kinetix can help you get back to living life free from daily, annoying and frustrating Sports Injuries, and return to the exercise you love
If you want to know what it costs - and what availability we have at our clinic in Oakland then please just click the button below and complete the short form: